As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:10-11 NIV
Don’t you love this extended metaphor comparing Gods Word to the precipitation that falls on the earth?
It is given to us by Father God through the prophet Isaiah, and communicates so many truths in 2 short verses.
1. Like rain or snow, Gods Word is sent down from Heaven. His Word is as much a part of His provision for us as the daily rain!
2. What does rain do? It waters the earth. God’s Word waters our parched souls. Cleansing rain and refreshing joy come through His Scriptures.
3. Rain and snow not only water the earth, but they give growth. I’ve never seen it, but scientists tell us that a barren, scorched desert can burst into bloom after a quenching rain. Our souls also blossom and prepare to be fruitful when drenched with God’s Holy Word.
4. Plants do not bud and flourish just to be colorful; they bud to bear fruit and be useful. They have a purpose that is begun by the rain. God’s Word is the rain that causes our lives to bear fruit unto righteousness.
5. That flourishing plant yields 2 things: seed for the sower ands bread for the eater. In other words, The rain of God’s Word causes fruit in our lives that provides sustenance for our immediate, daily needs (bread) and provision for our future needs (seed to plant and harvest, time and again).
6. God’s Word will accomplish what He desires.
7. God’s Word in our lives, homes, churches, communities, and nation will achieve the purpose He sent it for.
We trust God for rain that sustains the earth. Trust His Word for truth that sustains your soul.